PTA Logo Usage Guidelines
Consistency Is Key
Glossary of Terms
- Logo - for our guidelines, the logo consists of the slanted letters P, T, and A followed by a registered trademark symbol. (Note: all guidelines for PTA also apply to use of PTSA.)
- Signature - the official/legal name of your PTA. Just as you have an official way to sign your name and represent you on documents and checks, your PTA also has a “signature” or an official name that is used to identify your PTA. For consistency, your PTA name should always appear in the same typeface and size in relation to the logo on all the materials you publish.
- Tagline - a memorable phrase or slogan an organization can use to help build recognition, excitement, and brand identity for itself, its products, and services. The PTA’s current tagline is “ (everychild.onevoice)” In the tagline, “every child” suggests our national scope and that our mission is about all children, and “one voice” implies our advocacy role and collective strength.
- Corporate Typeface/Font - an official typeface or font used for a company’s name or signature. The corporate typeface selected for use when showing the PTA signature is Arial Black (for PC users) or Helvetica Black (Macintosh users). This extra bold typeface was selected for PTA’s signatures to help balance the weight of PTA names centered above the bold letters of the logo. The font Times Roman (same for PC and Macintosh users) was selected as the corporate typeface for the tagline. This font was chosen for the tagline because of how it contrasts nicely with the bold style of the logo. See the section on the “Correct Use of Tagline” for additional guidelines.
- Corporate Color - the official color used when showing the PTA signature, logo and tagline is a dark, slate blue. Please refer to the “Color Application,” section for specifications for printing purposes.
Using the PTA Name & Logo
Our PTA name is important—only by insisting that our name and logo be used in a consistent manner, can we guarantee our name recognition will continue to grow and be protected under trademark law.
1. As a licensee of the National PTA, you are entitled to use the PTA® or PTSA® name.
While the name PTA is recognized widely and many people still think it is a generic term that can be used to describe any parent group or school association, the name “PTA” and “PTSA” are registered service marks of the National Congress of Parents and Teachers. A service mark has the same legal status as a trademark. The distinction is that a service mark is used for services and trademarks are used for commercial products. The symbol ® designates that the PTA name has been registered with the federal government and may not be used by organizations not affiliated with the National PTA.
Not only is the name “PTA,” a registered service mark, but the design treatment of the logo (the slanted PTA letters) has been registered as an official service mark of the organization. In addition, the tagline everychild.onevoice.® is a registered service mark of National PTA. The tagline in Spanish (cadaniño.unavoz.®) also has received registered trademark status and should be shown with the registered mark.
2. Always publish, print, or speak the name of the PTA in a consistent manner.
Be consistent in the typeface or font you use, how the logo appears, and the color used. The PTA logo should appear the same at all times on all correspondence, whether it is a memo, press release, newsletter, poster, or brochure.
The name “National PTA®” should not be translated into Spanish because it is a registered trademark. If there is a need to explain who we are in Spanish, use the name in English followed by the Spanish translated definition in parantheses:
National PTA (Asociación Nacional de Padres y Maestros)
Correct use of PTA name
The following names are all registered service marks of the National Congress of Parents and Teachers:
• National Congress of Parents and Teachers®
• Parent Teacher Association® (should not be hyphenated)
• Parent-Teacher-Student Association® (should be hyphenated)
• National PTA® (the acronym NPTA should never be used)
Correct forms of abbreviation and punctuation
PTA PTSA (no periods)
PTAs PTSAs (plural, no apostrophe)
PTA’s PTSA’s (singular possessive, use an apostrophe)
PTAs’ PTSAs’ (plural possessive, apostrophe follows the “s”)
3. Always reproduce the PTA logo and tagline with their respective registered service mark symbols.
Together, the logo and tagline form a standard, positive image and brand identity system for all PTAs. Our tagline— (everychild.onevoice®)—has also received registered trademark status. In addition, the tagline in Spanish (cadaniño.unavoz®) has received registered trademark status and should be shown with the registered mark. Since the logo and tagline are both registered marks of the organization, each one should be shown with its own registration symbol ®. Please use only versions of the logo and tagline with both registered marks. If you need artwork with the registration marks, please request copies the logo and tagline from PTA’s national design department.
4. The PTA logo and tagline should always be shown in the same color.
The official color of the PTA is a dark, slate blue.
The PTA name, logo and tagline should always appear together in the same color—either in the official blue, all black, or white. Never print the PTA name in a different color than the logo or tagline.
For professional printing purposes, the official ink color is Pantone Matching System® color 541.
5. The tagline (everychild.onevoice®) (cadaniño.unavoz®) is always lowercase text and centered below the PTA logo.
The tagline in English or Spanish should be typed and printed in exactly the same way. Use only Times Roman or Times New Roman font as follows:
• child. - typed in bold with a period, followed by one space
• one - typed in italic, followed by no space
• voice.® - typed in bold with a period, followed by registration mark
The tagline should look like this: everychild.onevoice® or cadaniño.unavoz®
PTA Corporate Typefaces
Consistency is a key element for an effective brand identification system, especially when using corporate typefaces. The corporate typefaces act as a visual bond for all official National PTA correspondence and help provide a consistent, brand look in communications and marketing materials.
The corporate typeface Arial Black/Helvetica Black was selected for the PTA signature because of its modern appearance and legibility. Exclusive use of this typeface for PTA names reinforces the consistent style of the logo throughout the organization. The extra bold weight, referred to as “black” in the Helvetica and Arial typeface families was selected to help balance each PTA’s signature with the bold design of the slanted PTA and PTSA letters of the logo.
The font Times Roman or Times New Roman (same for PC and Macintosh users) was selected as the corporate typeface for the tagline, “everychild.onevoice®” This font was chosen for the tagline because of how it contrasts nicely with the bold style of the logo.
Times Roman is also used for all text and copy in advertising and promotional copy, brochures, in stationery items, and in all correspondence materials for the organization.
While it is not required, it is highly recommended that your PTA adopt and use Arial /Helvetica and Times Roman typeface families in regular, italic, bold, or other weights as your official supporting typefaces for your publishing needs. Using these two typefaces will help create a consistent, family look for your PTA and the materials it produces.
The simple, clean style of the Arial /Helvetica typeface family is best used for emphasis and not large blocks of text and copy. It can be used for headlines, subheads for newsletters, posters, and promotional copy. The legible and easy-to-read Times Roman typeface can be used for setting text and copy for brochures, newsletters, and as the typeface you use for your letters, press releases, and press statements.
PTA Color Applications
The official corporate color of the PTA is a dark, slate blue. For professional printing purposes, the ink color is Pantone Matching System® color 541 or PMS 541.
The PTA signature, logo and tagline should always appear together in the same color-either all in black, corporate blue, or white. Never print your PTA name in a different color when shown directly above the logo or tagline.
The logo may be reversed out in white of a background color strong enough to show a distinct impression of the logo. The background color must completely surround the logo. Do not isolate or reverse individual elements, such as reverse your PTA signature, but not the PTA logo and tagline.