Grants and Scholarships
California State PTA Scholarships
The California State PTA scholarships are available to graduating high school seniors to commend extensive volunteer service in the school and community. Scholarships are for use during fall semester/quarter, following high school graduation. Scholarship awards also are available to credentialed teachers, counselors, and school nurses for advanced study, and to PTA volunteers with at least three years of PTA service to continue their education.
Application: An application and reference form are linked under the scholarship subheadings below. Applications and reference forms with letters must be received in the California State PTA office by close of business October 15. When November 15 falls on a weekend, applications are due in the State PTA office by close of business the following Monday. Postmarks will not be accepted.
- Eligibility – For the Graduating High School Senior Scholarship, successful applicants meet the following criteria:
- PTA member graduating from a high school in California between January 1 and June 30 of the current academic year
- Current member of his/ her high school PTA which is in good standing
- Scholarship used during fall semester following high school graduation for studies at accredited colleges, universities, trade or technical schools
- Enroll in courses accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc., Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Provide proof of enrollment and completion of coursework to California State PTA by June 1
Completed application and reference forms with letters received by California State PTA by February 1
Selection – Each year, the California State PTA Scholarship and Grant Committee carefully reads and vets each scholarship application. All applicants are notified of their status in March.
Scholarship winners receive a letter of congratulations and recognition certificate from California State PTA along with a check.
Application Tips – Before submitting your scholarship application packet to California State PTA, please remember to check that it includes:
- Completed application form and packet submitted by February 1
- Proof of your PTA membership
- Descriptive essay (maximum 2 pages) outlining:
- Your PTA responsibilities
- Your career plans, goals, objective and any other information you feel would be valuable to the selection committee
- All of your school service-related activities including any service you provide to others in your school
- Your volunteer service in the community
- Two (2) completed reference forms and letters, written specifically for this application
- First reference – Written by a community volunteer leader unrelated to you and who you volunteered with
- Second reference – Written by a member of the high school faculty
If mailing a hard copy of your application packet, please remember to ask that reference forms and letters be given to you in a sealed envelope for you to include in the packet.
If applying online, provide the link specified in the online application to your two referees to submit their completed reference forms and letters.
Continuing Education – Credential Teachers and Counselors–Due October 15
Credentialed teachers and counselors who have a minimum of three years’ experience in a California public school are eligible to apply for the $500 Continuing Education Scholarship for Credentialed Classroom Teachers and Counselors. You must be employed in a California public school during the preceding year and plan to continue working as a teacher or counselor. The scholarship must be used January 1 – December 31 following the year of award; proof of your enrollment and completion of coursework must be provided by California State PTA by June 1.
Continuing Education – School Nurses–Due October 15
Registered Nurses are eligible to apply for the $500 Continuing Education Scholarship for School Nurses. You must be employed in a California public school during the preceding year, have a nursing contract for the current year – and assignment in – at least one PTA school, plan to continue as a public-school nurse, and use the scholarship at approved institutions or providers, such as nursing schools, hospitals, organized nursing groups and private providers that meet California Board of Registered Nursing requirements. The scholarship must be used January 1 – December 31 following the year of award; proof of your enrollment and completion of coursework must be provided by California State PTA by June 1.
PTA volunteers with at least three years of service are eligible to apply for the $500 Continuing Education Scholarship. Your scholarship must be used for advanced studies at accredited California colleges, universities, trade and technical schools. You must use it January 1 – December 31 following the year of award; proof of your enrollment and completion of coursework must be provided by California State PTA by June 1.
California State PTA Grants
Grant funds are available from the California State PTA for use by unit, council, or district PTAs in good standing to develop and implement programs and projects at the unit, council and district PTA level in the areas of parent education, cultural arts, and outreach translation.
Use funds to develop and implement parent education programs and projects in such areas as health, child development, child abuse prevention or parenting skills. Programs or projects must be sponsored by the PTA applying for the grant.
Use funds to develop and implement student-centered cultural arts programs. The cultural arts grant program complements the California
State PTA’s commitment to a quality arts education. The programs and projects should focus on expanding the students’ awareness and appreciation of the field of cultural arts and/or enriching and enhancing arts education programs and must be sponsored by the PTA applying for the grant.
Use funds to translate PTA written materials and oral presentations in an effort to involve every member of the school community. Copies of all translated materials funded by a Grant for Outreach Translation must accompany the report due June 30. The California State PTA may use
translated materials when appropriate.
Deadline: October 15