PTA Advocacy Training Workshop
September 30, 2016,
9:15 a.m. to Noon
Fountain Valley School District Boardroom
Advocacy Training….September 2015 Training Recap
The Fourth District PTA Advocacy Team kicks off each new school year by offering training and resources to beginning- and advanced-level advocates, open to all PTA members at no cost.
The A-Team created and led a fantastic training program for all of us this year that included…
- A keynote address presented by the Orange County Registrar of Voters himself, Neal Kelley, concerning civic and election issues facing OC residents today. He kept the audience engaged with useful information, surprising facts, new insights, and a good sense of humor.
- Break-out sessions for beginners and experienced advocates that gave members a solid advocacy foundation, instruction in researching PTA positions, and hands-on practice advocating for local issues and ready to take action!
- A focus on civic engagement and practical advice on how local PTAs can conduct effective voter registration drives so that parents’ concerns have influence when electing our civic leaders and deciding public issues.
- Great participation by our members! We’re lucky to have such great advocates for all our kids.
Fourth District PTA Advocacy Training Workshops were held Friday, September 25, 2015, at National University.
- Be sure to join us when Fourth District PTA presents its ADVOCACY FORUMS this year, with engaging guest speakers who share their insights and offer news and information to keep you up-to-date on advocacy issues. Click here for the latest details.
- Register for SACRAMENTO SAFARI for two days of in-depth advocacy information, training, and meetings with your California legislators and other state leaders to directly advocate on behalf of your PTA’s children, youth, and families. Click here for current information and registration instructions.
- PTA Council advocates and presidents will be notified of opportunities to meet together throughout the year in our council advocacy leaders ROUNDTABLES to share ideas and experiences, get advice on how to meet challenges, and receive additional resources to make you even more effective advocacy leaders.
- The California State PTA will host its annual Legislation Conference in Sacramento, March 14-15, 2016.
- Further advocacy training workshops will be offered at the California State PTA Convention, May 4-7, 2016, in San Diego.
- Your PTA may utilize the Fourth District PTA Speakers Bureau—Advocacy Team speakers present on the advocacy topic of your choice at your PTA meeting. Learn more.
DID YOU MISS IT?
PTA unit or council advocates (or presidents, if no advocate has been designated) who missed our September training sessions can…
- …still acquire their annual “Advocacy Resource Notebook” at the November 6th ADVOCACY FORUM or from the Fourth District PTA office, 1520 Brookhollow Drive, Suite #40, Santa Ana, 9:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., Monday-Thursday. To help you with your advocacy work each year, the Fourth District PTA Advocacy Team compiles the latest materials for your reference (this is not yet available from CAPTA). The cost is $15, and is a legitimate (reimbursable) annual PTA expense for your unit or council.
- …HELP!! …this PDF will help you to learn where to begin if you are new to advocacy.
- …review online materials available about advocacy from your district, state, and national PTAs:
- www.fourthdistrictpta.org: Go to Advocacy on the toolbar; click here.
- www.capta.org: Go to Focus Areas / Advocacy, and the Toolkit for a job description
- www.pta.org: Go to Advocacy
- contact the A-Team if you need help getting started as a PTA advocate or with introducing advocacy to your PTA
- plan to attend Sacramento Safari to learn about the issues from a variety of education experts, meet the decision-makers, and make your voice heard!
Questions? Contact Fran Sdao at email@example.com